Tuesday, October 16, 2012

What To Wear - The "Dressy Casual" Engagement Party

Here in our house the coming month kicks off party season so outfits must be sought & gifts must bought. It's a time of fun and fanfare and sometimes a little too much madness.

Foremost in my mind at the moment is a Carnival themed engagement party with all the trimmings. The event will be held in the evening so I had a few pretty midi & tea length dresses with killer heels & a clutch in mind considering the theme but I hadn't ruled out a black cocktail dress. However, on recieving my invitation... "shock, gasp, horror".... NO STILETTOS!!!!! What is a girl like me to do?? (A girl with a shoe thing that is!).

So what exactly do I do for a "dressy casual" event with no stilettos??  And what exactly does this elusive "dressy casual" mean?? Well from what I can gather it's not that casual & it's quite dressy. If you're still confused - think relaxed elegance.

A few rules to stick to for the ladies

* If you're outfit is on the dressy side tone down your make up & keep your hair & jewelry simple.
* If you opt for something more casual play up your make up and use statement accessories.
* Do not show up in a floor length evening gown worthy of the red carpet.

A few rules for the gentleman

* No sneakers, no t-shirts & no blue jeans
* Suits & ties are not a requirement but a blazer and slacks will work
* Depending on the time of day chinos & a shirt will make a great alternative

Now what will I wear? Being a high heel girl I don't know that I could do flip flops, even pretty bejewelled ones so I'm opting for wedges. When I think wedges the first thing that comes to mind is a maxi so I've taken some inspiration from the following image and put together a few ideas.

My inspiration. It's all in the details.
 
 
Maxis are always effortlessy elegant. Don't be deterred by patterns. This one from Paper Scissors Frock is only $49.95 & looks a million dollars. Play up your make up and add a clutch to make it evening worthy. Alternatively solid colors are wonderful. This coral number also from Paper Scissor Frock comes in at $69.95 & gives off that 1920's feel. Add some dramatic chandelier earrings in gold to finish the look.
 
 
A black maxi will always take you from day to evening & is a safe option if you want to look dressy without looking formal. This strapless maxi is from Boohoo & comes in at a tiny $40. Keep the look soft and flowy with this lovely ruffled detail dress from Paper Scissors Frock coming in at $69.95. A black dress is strong enough color that you don't need to over accessorize. Keep your make up neutral and accessories chunky.
 

A strappy black wedge is simple & classic like this suede one from Zu Shoes at $140 you will certainly get your moneys worth out of it throughout summer. A great way to break up the all black is by looking for metallics like this black and gold pair from Asos at $85.00. Get on trend and make a statement with bold color like these  from Novo .


Just to let you know Paper Scissors Frock will be launching a plus size range and are currently looking for models so check out their  Model Search Please note this is not a sponsored or paid for blog as I've included a number of items I happened to come across when looking for an outfit for myself.

Enjoy!
Ronelle @ GoS
xox



No comments:

Post a Comment